John Doughton, MD
UNC Health Provider
UNC Health providers are employed by an organization within UNC Health.
Family Medicine, Primary Care
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM 8:00 AM - 1:00 PMClosed Today Closed Today
|Day of the Week||Hours|
|Monday||8:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Tuesday||8:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Wednesday||8:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Thursday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Friday||8:00 AM - 1:00 PM|
About the Provider
- Family Medicine
- Primary Care
Additional Practice Locations for John Doughton, MD
About John Doughton, MD
I chose to be a doctor because I saw that it allows you to meet people at important, vulnerable times in their lives and offer care and guidance in those moments. Specifically I chose Family Medicine because of the breadth of care it equips you to provide, and because you are able to establish lasting relationships with patients. My philosophy of care is to listen to patients to best understand their goals and priorities in regards to their ca...
I chose to be a doctor because I saw that it allows you to meet people at important, vulnerable times in their lives and offer care and guidance in those moments. Specifically I chose Family Medicine because of the breadth of care it equips you to provide, and because you are able to establish lasting relationships with patients. My philosophy of care is to listen to patients to best understand their goals and priorities in regards to their care, and to partner with them to develop a treatment or prevention plan. In some cases there are clear cut paths forward, but often there are multiple possible approaches and I enjoy working together with patients to choose the best option for them. Outside of work I enjoy spending time with my wife, exploring the Triangle, outdoor activities like hiking or anything around water, live music, and playing basketball.
UNC Health Affiliations
- UNC Hospitals
- UNC Physicians Network
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2010 - 2014
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2014 - 2017
- Area: Family Medicine
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2017 - 2018
- Area: Career Development
Bachelor of Arts
- University of Notre Dame, 2005 - 2009
- Area: Philosophy
Underserved care, immigration and Latino health, office-based procedures, and point of care ultrasound.
- Aetna Commercial Plans (Other than Aetna Whole Health)
- Aetna Whole Health (Tier 2)
- Aetna Medicare Advantage Plans (Other than Aetna Prime HMO)
- AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina Medicaid
- BCBSNC Commercial Plans
- North Carolina State Employees Health Benefit Plan (Active employees)
- BCBSNC Blue Home with UNC Health Alliance
- BCBSNC Medicare Advantage (Other than Experience Health)
- Healthy Blue Medicaid
- Carolina Complete Health Medicaid (Centene)
- Cigna Commercial Plans (Other than Cigna Connect)
- Cigna Secure Medicare Advantage
- Contigo Health Plan (WakeMed employees only)
- Humana Medicare Advantage PPO
- Humana Medicare Private Fee-for-Service
- North Carolina State Employee Health Benefit Plan (Medicare Advantage for retirees)
- Liberty Advantage Medicare Advantage
- MedCost PPO
- UnitedHealthcare Commercial Plans
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage
- UnitedHealthcare Exchange (ACA) Plans
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan Medicaid
- Veterans Affairs Community Care Network
- WellCare of North Carolina Medicaid
* Coverage for certain behavioral health, Medicare and commercial plans as well as TriCare varies across UNC Health entities. Please call prior to your visit to determine coverage.
UNC Health contracts with most health insurance companies including, but not limited to, the ones listed here. While we do our best to keep this list up-to-date, it often changes. Professional fees charged by care providers and organizations who are not employed, owned or managed by UNC Health may not be included under the same insurance contracts and may bill separately. Before scheduling your appointment, please contact the organization or care provider in charge of delivering these services as they may be able to help you identify who will be providing these services. Your insurance company can help to determine which specific services, locations and providers are covered by your plan as well as provide you with information regarding co-payments, deductibles or any additional charges that may be your responsibility. UNC Health makes no representation or guarantee of benefits or coverage. Services not covered by your insurance company will be your responsibility. If you are in need of financial assistance, please visit our Financial Assistance page. For additional information regarding insurance accepted at UNC Health, please visit our Insurance page.
In order to provide our patients and visitors with the most accurate and useful information, we only post physician satisfaction data when a physician has received a minimum of 30 returned surveys. For this provider, we have not received the minimum.